eCommerce is all about buying and selling goods online and has been growing like crazy in recent years with more businesses making most of their sales online. Online shopping has made it more convenient for us to shop for what we went, whenever we want without even having to leave the house.
We have listed the most interesting statistics on eCommerce for 2023.
- There is an estimated total of 12 million – 24 million eCommerce sites across the globe.
- 59% of millennials will go to amazon before making an online purchase
- 80% of shopping carts are abandoned
- 75% of people are more likely to abandon their cart if the site speed is slow
- Woolworths.com.au is leading the Australian eCommerce net sales of US$3,874 million in 2021
- Millennials (those born from 1981 to 1996) make up the largest group of online shoppers
- Shipping, tax, and other extra costs are the main reason for people abandoning their carts according to 50% of consumers.
- The annual spending on social media ads reached $154 billion in 2021
- The Chinese market made up for 33% of global eCommerce sales in 2020
eCommerce growth statistics
- By the year 2040, it’s estimated 95% of all purchases will be through eCommerce
- In the Fashion segment, the number of users is expected to amount to 15.2m users by 2027
- By 2025 eCommerce will make up 24.5% of all retail sales worldwide
- The eCommerce industry is growing by 23% per year
- eCommerce sales are projected to reach $7.4 trillion by 2025
- Revenue is expected to show an annual growth rate of 11.01%
Shopify eCommerce statistics
- $72 was the average revenue per Shopify customer in 2020
- 50% of eCommerce stores see repeat purchases
- Over 2 million merchants host their online stores on Shopify
- Shopify is used in over 175 countries globally
- Over 7000 applications are available to use in the Shopify app to assist businesses in customising their stores.
- Over 105,636 fashion stores sell on Shopify, making it the most popular.
- As of 2023, there have been 2.1 million active users on Shopify every day
- Tesla, Sephora, and Nestle are some of the biggest brands using Shopify to create online storefronts
eCommerce consumer behaviour
- 42% of online shoppers have made a purchase they regret
- The topmost reason why Australian consumers shopped online was convenience (77%), followed by free shipping (48%)
- 24% of online purchases are made using an e-wallet
- 46% of consumers research before making major purchases
- 76% of consumers have made impulse purchases on social media
- 71% of people say someone they follow has influenced a sale
- 39% of consumers said they have no intention of shopping via social
- 95% of consumers feel fast delivery options are a must when shopping online
- 90% of consumers expect flexible payment options when checking out of online shops
- 81% of people made purchasing decisions based on reviews and recommendations
Mobile eCommerce stats
- 93% of millennials have compared deals using a mobile
- 73% of consumers will switch from a poorly designed mobile site to one that makes purchasing easier (google)
- 82% of internet users have used a mobile device to make a purchase
- Amazon is the leading shopping app on the app store in the United States with 20.8 million people
- By 2024, it’s predicted there will be over 187 million active mobile shoppers in the US
- The average order value on a desktop is $50 higher compared to mobile
- Today, almost 3 out of 4 dollars spent on online purchases come from mobile devices
- 31% of mobile consumers are more inclined to purchase if their device has a bigger screen